Saturday, November 23, 2013

A Dickens character, perhaps?

As many people do, I browse through magazines when I am waiting in line at the supermarket   Most choose to check out the tabloids, but I go right to the fashion rags.  The December issue of Vogue has a great spread of Dickens inspired fashion.  I couldn't wait to go home and design my own version using what I already had in my closet.  I reconstructed this pinstripe suit by shortening the legs and adding eyelet ruffles to the bottoms.  The day before during one of my regular thrift store junkets, I had picked up the plaid cumberbund and bow tie, never worn, in their original box.  Since I am a lover of all things red plaid, I already had the hat and bag in my collection.  The striped button down shirt and black ankle boots completed the outfit for me.  But was I all dressed up with no place to go?  Heck, no!  Jeffrey and I had a lovely night out in Cape May attending an art coop holiday gift fair and  going for drinks at the beautiful and cozy bar at Congress Hall.  Even a night out in little old Cape May can be divine when you are wearing the right outfit!






1 comment:

Patricia Markert said...

You look fabulous.

I am just rereading Oliver Twist and find the images of Oliver made stylish (in the Vogue shoot) sort of disturbing since he was really abused from the moment he was born. The Artful Dodger rose above it all and became an expert thief, but was hanged.

Victorian fashion though is pretty wonderful, and I love your interpretation of it, especially since you look so young and energetic and ready to tackle whatever is thrown your way!